The Sorcerer King-- Frewin Jones





“Tania is the lost princess of Faerie. When she returns to Faerie from the mortal world, she finds only devastation. The Sorcerer King of Lyonesse—ancient enemy of the Faerie Court—has been released. As the wicked Sorcerer regains his power, King Oberon, Tania’s father, is imprisoned, and the Faerie Court is being destroyed. Tania must prepare to fight a war that she may not survive.”

The Sorcerer King is the third in the series; which, as I have not read the other two, makes it a very interesting book. I have before started a series with a book other than the first, just to see if it works as a standalone, a challenge to the author, if you will. The Sorcerer King didn’t do so well.

The story began like a chapter, not a book. I can only imagine the frustration of people who read the second Faerie Path book. If the ending of the second flowed smoothly with the beginning of the third, it must have been some cliffhanger. It frustrated me, and made the whole book read like a TV episode.
.
The plot itself was good, if a bit too forced. I found myself getting confused and things that were important flashed before my eyes in a second. Causing me to go back and try and figure out what exactly happened. I was never exactly sure who was where and what was happening. And every single thing, even normal things, had a made-up name. The author was trying to hard to make a typical story original.
.
Also, a good book in a series should tell you what happened before, but leave you wanting more detail, therefore getting you to read the other books. The Sorcerer King did the opposite. It gave me just little snippets of things, not enough to let me know what they’re talking about unless I have read the other books. This did not make me happy. And left me lost and behind as the story unfolded.
.
Perhaps I was just too old for this book. I have always been of the mind that books are for all ages, but sometimes books just aren’t meant for older readers. Someone attempted to make this book really detailed and in the end just made it really complex, so that the intended audience wouldn’t understand.

I want to make it clear that I really liked the actual story. I just think that the author’s diction and syntax was not chosen well.
.
And that's all I have to say about that.
.
~Enna Isilee
.
Coming tomorrow, a review on Extras by Scott Westerfeld.
.
.
[Please ignore the periods between paragraphs. Blogger is freaking out on me.]

9 comments:

  1. Good review. :D

    I'm waiting for paperback, I suppose, or the library. ;)

    The cover is so pretty, though, isn't it? It's my favorite of the three, and all have beautiful covers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover is very pretty. It's what intrigued me the most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review : )

    And I had just recently found out that Westerfeld wrote a 4th book, apparently Extras. I read Uglies Pretties and Specials, so I'm curious to see whaty you think of the 4th book : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got The Sorcerer King from First Look too, but I think that since I had read the other two beforehand, maybe I enjoyed it more. They really are good books if you wanted to go back and read them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bohae? Is that you? Y'all can't go changing your names on me! ;)

    Sorry that I didn't get Extras in when I said I would I have a big history test today that I was madly studying for. I'll get the review done today though and post it when I get back from school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eep! Extras! I loved Uglies, but Pretties left me disappointed and Specials left me downright irritated. I need to get my hands on a copy of Extras, to see if he fixes the mess he left at the end of Specials.

    I still think that the dedication of Extras is the best, even though I've only heard about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah... I think I messed up something when I changed my profile : ) Sorry about the name confusing thing... *embarrassingly turning a dark shade of red*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think you can judge a book before reading the previous ones in the series. If you would have read the previous two, I think you would be very satisfied with everything. They all tie in well together. Try reading the first two.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails